September 7, 2017
Adapted from Justin Wilson's Homegrown Louisiana Cookin'.
- 1 20 oz. package of chicken breasts and/or thighs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 chopped bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup chopped green onion (I often omit)
- 1 or 2 lbs. andouille sausage, sliced 1/4 thick
- 3 cups long grain rice
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 4 T Better Than Boullion Chicken Base
- 1 T chopped garlic
- 2 t salt
- Ground cayenne to taste
In a heavy stock pot over med-high heat, brown the chicken in the oil. After the chicken has browned, remove from the pot. Then add the onions, bell pepper, parsley and green onions, sand saute until the onions are clear. Stir in the sausage, rice, water, chicken base, garlic, chicken salt and cayenne. Make sure the chicken base is fully dissolved. Bring to a boil over high heat, then cover and turn the heat to low or a notch above. Simmer for 30 minutes without lifting the lid. If the rice is not done after 30 minutes, simmer for another five to ten minutes.
About 10 servings.